3 Part Series.
Part 1: Apps are Back.
There was a point early on in the smartphone revolution when every brand jumped on the app-wagon, often without a clear strategic plan or functionality that really added value. Almost half the users who downloaded apps would delete them with frustration shortly after.
Fast forward a few years later, when consumer confidence for shopping on mobile has soared, almost overtaking desktop shopping, and technologies have advanced beyond recognition, retail fashion apps are making a comeback.
A new survey by financial-services firm Synchrony revealed:
- 67% of people surveyed have downloaded a retail app.
- On average, they’re using four apps in 2018, an increase from two last year.
- According to the study, 83% of customers said they are happy with the experience of mobile apps.
- Only 21% said they deleted a retailer’s app because of a poor experience – down from 35% saying the same last year.
Amongst all the noise in an increasingly competitive marketplace, apps are a great opportunity for brands to connect more closely with their most loyal customers, to understand about their specific likes and offer rewards and opportunities to get involved on a deeper level.
Our Top 5 App Functionalities
- Barcode scanning that gives you more information about the product
- Shoppable videos
- Virtual trying on outfits and ability to share them on social media
- Beacon technology that sends sales, discounts and prizes to your phone
- Visual app which allows you to take a picture of any product, which is then scanned and found through the app
In the next part of the series, we’ll take a look at some of the retailers who have ad-app-ted particularly well…