Although the biggest window event of the year is normally Christmas, Halloween allows retail’s creatives to take us to the darker side of the glass. Here’s a look back at those that have really made shopping bags shake over the past few years.
- Barneys’ hungry wolves, creepy owls and unidentifiable, rabid monster heads allow us imagine our mother-in-law, boss from hell and old school bully have finally been cast by a spell to live behind glass forever.
2. The fact that Alice’s head has been eaten by the innocent white rabbit is scary enough for us in Printemps’ Parisian department store window, made to celebrate the release of Tim Burton’s version of the movie.
3. If you are scared by a 5cm harvest spider, imagine this 8-legged mechanical monstrosity coming towards you. With each foot dressed in a Louboutin heal, you better get your toes out the way of its web.
4. We could have picked all of the Bergdorf Goodman Halloween windows from the past few years. If you haven’t seen them, Google them, they’re incredible.
5. We are not sure you need a face mask if you don’t have a head in the first place, but it all helps to add to the framed theatre in Lavin’s weird and wacky window display.
6. Coles supermarkets prove its not just fashion retailers who can make wicked window displays. Their enchanted brooms make housework a hellova lot more fun.
7. Skillfully skulling it, Marc Jacobs created a mass grave in their window in 2009. We wondered what happened to all those customers who disappeared into the fitting room…
8. Hermes had us ducking and diving like we were in the middle of an Alfred Hitchcock movie. It’s simple and elegant with the orange pumpkin-esque bag taking centre stage.
9. To have 90,000 square meters of the 330 clothing departments of Harrods land on her head in 2009 was maybe a little more than Dorothy bargained for. But her feet protruding out onto the pavement tripped up many passers-by with delight.
10. In 2016 Macys’s window, we’re grateful to this Dame of Death for keeping her dogs on a lead.
What windows have put you in hiding this Halloween? Let us know in the comments below.