Being centered in the heart of fast-paced, shiny centre of Manhattan, the challenge for Nike when opening it’s new Innovation 000 Store was to entertain some of the most hard to please, short attention-spanned, high expectation-holding customers on the planet.
So what would you expect from one of the worlds biggest, most forward thinking brands when it opened a 68,000 square foot mega-shop on the corner of 5th Avenue?
The whole concept is built around the Nike app, which customers can download to become ‘NikePlus Members’. All the in-store conveniences, personalisations and special treatments are linked back to members mobile phones devices, where they can create a seamless, exciting shopping experience. Here’s a look at some of the key features of the next generation shop.
- One of the main aims of the project was to disrupt and distort – distinguishing it from the surrounding concrete structures in the busy shopping district.
- Speed, blur and motion was the narrative idea behind the building’s skin.
- The individual bubbles that appear across the facade are an interpretation of Nike’s airbag cushions, used in the soles of sports shoes.
- From the street, visitors can witness a display of temporary graphics programmed onto the exterior, creating a full-scale digital billboard.
- A wedge sliced away from the corner of the building, creating the entrance, echoes the outline of an athlete’s lifted heel before a sprint.
- The ‘Scan to Try’ service allows members to reserve items via their phone and have them held in an in-store locker, ready for pickup.
- The new ‘Shop the Look’ service allows app users to scan an in-store mannequin then ask for the items to be sent to a fitting room.
- Shoppers are also able to access Nike’s instant checkout service where they can check out from the Nike App at special in-store checkout stations.
Customer Service and Personalisation
- The brand is also offering Nike Members the chance to book one-to-one customer service sessions via the Nike App. This will include working with a Nike ‘Athlete’ to find the right item and to create a personal look at the customisation station.
- Fitting rooms on the women’s floor include three custom light levels and a button to call an Athlete.
- To mark the opening, the shop also features two maker’s studios where shoppers can customise their shoes with a choice of laces, fabrics, decals and more.
- In the Arena area of the store, the walls and floors are tiled screens that can easily be removed and replaced to quickly enable the store to host new spaces and configurations.
- Products are displayed and styled across sports disciplines in order to suit Nike’s contemporary female shopper, which it has nicknamed “fenom”.
- The interiors transition to darker tones for the menswear floor and then back to bright on the third level, which hosts the Nike Sneaker Lab – the largest concentration of Nike footwear anywhere in the world.